U.S. Airborne now offers Sport Pilot Intro Flights In beautiful Northwest Washington during the summer months. During the winter months we are in Sunny California and Arizona.

Call today to reserve your flight lesson slot.

  • Sport Pilot Training weight-shift
  • Ultralight Pilot Transition Services
  • Flight Training and Endorsements
  • Pre-DAR Inspections and Preparations for $150

All Sport pilot Certified Flight Training $150.00 pr Hr on a ELSA N numbered Airborne XTS-912

We can provide Maintenance, Repair and Inspections on AirBorne Special and Experimental Light Sport Trikes

Any questions on Sport Pilot training or Maintenance & inspection please contact our good friend CARL RYDER Sport Pilot CFI- Weight-Shift at carlwhoflys@iinet.com.

Sport Pilot:

If you were a Registered Pilot or Basic Flight Instructor before September 1, 2004, you qualify for a certified letter from ASC that serves as your approval to take the written test and check ride.

If you were a registered Student Pilot before September, 1, 2004 and then completed your Pilot Registration, you qualify for a certified letter from ASC that serves as your approval to take the written test and check ride.

If you become a registered Student Pilot, then you may started logging time toward Sport Pilot in ultralight vehicles, except for the last three hours of preparation for the Sport Pilot check ride which need to be with a CFI in an N numbered aircraft.

Or, you can train directly in Light Sport Aircraft towards Sport Pilot with Sport Pilot Certified Flight Instructor. The instructor can endorse you to take the written test and the check ride when you have completed the required training.

The Sport Pilot Knowledge Test (written test)

The Written Test is taken at a FAA approved computer test facility. Once you qualify for the test, you will need to review and practice for the test. There are several good study and support guides. They include books to study and software to simulate the tests and allow extensive practice.

Schedule and take the written test at a FAA computer test facility. These results are required to take the practical test and are good for two years.

The Sport Pilot Practical Test (check ride)

The practical test can be taken with a FAA examiner if it can be coordinated, however, usually the check ride will be with a Designated Pilot Examiner who is a designee doing the job for FAA.

Light Sport Designated Pilot Examiners are listed on the FAA web site http:/afs600.faa.gov. Seek out a DPE for your type and coordinate the examination. Some DPEs do not have aircraft available so be careful to make sure an appropriate aircraft is available for the check ride.

If you N number your aircraft, make sure that it is properly documented and can carry the total weight required to complete the check ride.

Form required, FAA Form 8710-11.


6) Register your aircraft, see http://www.aerosports.org/elsa_cert_.htm All forms are available except one. And ASC will mail that to you for free of charge. The registration fee for the plane is $5. If you want to expedite the process there is a company that will walk your paperwork over to the FAA for $20 in addition to the $5 FAA fee.

7) This will save mail decontamination time in the FAA mail system. They are Aerospace Reports, 5909 N.W. Expressway, Suite 375, Oklahoma City, OK 73132, phone 800-765-2336 ,web www.aerospacereports.com

Did you pay sales tax or use tax when you brought the vehicle into the state? If not, was it more than 7 years ago? Or, pay it on this years tax return. Some states will simply waive the tax for vehicles built before Sept. 1, 2004. (Please report your results to us so we can inform others.)

7) For N numbering, your aircraft all the forms are available, see http://www.aerosports.org/elsa_appl.htm

Getting your aircraft inspected will cost some money, usually about $300 plus mileage for the DAR. You can probably save money by getting several aircraft together and save at least the mileage. Maybe even get a group break on the fees.

Marking help http://www.sportpilot.info/sp/Marking3.htm


If you work every angle it will cost about ($5+$80+$300+$300). That is $685 plus some miscellaneous travel and perhaps sales tax. That makes you legal to fly with anyone in an N number Aircraft that meets the limits of light-sport aircraft.

Compare that to simply adding fuel injection to an engine for $1500.

Compare that with $4800 for a private pilots license and then not even an N number for a plane.


You have time. You can use your letter to get to sport pilot until Jan 31, 2007 (,You can use your letter to get to Sport Pilot Instructor until Jan 31, 2008.

You can use the student pilot letter to use your ultralight time and exempt trainer time towards Sport Pilot even after that. (The 3 hour requirement still stands).

Make sure you register and N number your plane by Jan 31, 2008 or it become a “Ground Monument”, that is, it can not be certified easily.

If you are a current BFI when you N number your plane, you can have the rights to use it to instruct for hire until Jan 31, 2010. Then it is an experimental plane.

After that it can be used for instruction only if the student owns the plane.


A sport pilot must be at least 17 years old and 16 to solo for powered aircraft.

Summary of the minimum required flight experience to be a sport pilot:

Airplane: 20 hours total, 75 mile solo cross country
Glider: 10 hours total
Gyroplane: 20 hours total, 50 mile solo cross country
Powered parachute: 12 hours total, 10 mile solo cross country
Weight shift (trike): 20 hours total, 50 miles solo cross country

Additional instruction and an instructor’s logbook endorsement for each new make and model or “set”.

A sport pilot must have additional training and a one-time logbook endorsement to fly a LSA that has a max speed in a cruise configuration (Vh) greater than 87 knots (100 MPH).

Powered parachutes and weight-shift control are divided into “land” and “sea” classes.

Pilots will be allowed to take a practical test (flight test) in a single seat LSA. The examiner will observe the pilot from the ground. The pilot will have a “single-seat” limitation on his certificate.

Sport pilot must take a biennial flight review (BFR).

Drivers License or third class medical, except if FAA has denied, revoked, suspended. If you hold a valid special medical your medical has not been denied.

A sport pilot may not fly above 10,000 feet MSL.

No night flying.

May not demonstrate LSA for sale if a “salesman.”

A sport pilot may fly in airspace where radio communication with ATC is required, but only with additional training and a logbook endorsement.

updated 8/18/04

The maximum gross weight is 1,320 pounds. Aircraft operated on water can weigh 1,430 pounds.

The stall speed not greater than 45 knots (51.8 MPH),

Max speed in a cruise configuration (Vh): 120 knots (138 MPH).

LSA can have a fixed or ground adjustable propeller.

Seaplanes or gliders can have repositionable gear (move one time in-flight).

A LSA can have only one engine (reciprocating, rotary, diesel)

Hang gliders, powered and unpowered paragliders are specifically excluded from being LSA, and a Sport Pilot certificate does not allow a sport pilot to fly a tandem hang glider or tandem paraglider.

SLSA – New aircraft can be manufactured and sold ready-to-fly under the new Special Light-Sport Aircraft (SLSA) certification without FAR Part 23 compliance. Aircraft must meet ASTM consensus standards. Aircraft under this certification may be used for sport and recreation, and for compensation to conduct towing, flight training, and aircraft rental.

Kit Built ELSA – Newly manufactured aircraft can be FAA certificated as an Experimental Light-Sport Aircraft (ELSA) if kit- or plans-built. Aircraft under this certification may be used only for sport and recreation and flight instruction for the owner of the aircraft.

ELSA – Transitioning aircraft can be FAA certificated as an Experimental Light-Sport Aircraft (ELSA) if it was kit- or plans-built and operated as an ultralight trainer. Certification must be completed on or before August 31, 2007 .

Will have FAA registration-“N” number.

Aircraft category and class includes: Airplane (Land/Sea), Gyroplane, Airship, Balloon, Weight-Shift-Control (Trike Land/Sea), and Powered Parachute.

U.S. or foreign manufacture of light-sport aircraft is authorized.

Aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate that meet above specifications may be flown by sport pilots. However, that airworthiness certification category will not be changed to a light-sport aircraft. Holders of a sport pilot certificate may fly an aircraft with a standard airworthiness certificate if it meets the definition of a light-sport aircraft.


“Preventative maintenance” is allowed by owner on a special LSA.

?Owner maintenance? is allowed on experimental LSA.

16-hour maintenance course allows owner to do annual inspections on their experimental LSA.

If you want to do maintenance-for-hire on the special light-sport aircraft, you must attend a maintenance course (class specific) of 80 hours for gliders and lighter-than-air aircraft, 120 hours for airplanes and 104 hours for weight-shift (trikes) and powered parachutes.

An applicant for an LSA repairman certificate can add the applicable modules for each additional class of LSA

Maintenance on SLSA must be performed in accordance with the general aviation standards of FAR Part 43, with some exceptions.

Approval by the manufacturer for SLSA modification, not FAA STC.

Prospective Designated Airworthiness Representatives for LSA (LS DARs) who inspect and issue experimental and special LSA airworthiness certificates must attend a three-day FAA course.


ELT required for two-seat airplanes (fixed wing) ELSA, SLSA and Amateur Built. (Does not apply for training flights less than 50 nautical miles from their origin.)

Only LSA certified with engine driven electrical systems will be required to have a transponder to fly within Class B and Class C airspace, and the Class B “Mode C veil.”


The two-seat ultralight Exemption for ultralight training will expire on January 31, 2008 .

All single and two -seat ultralights that exceed the definition in part 103 and all two-seat ultralight trainers must be converted to ?experimental” LSA by January 31, 20078 .

After an ultralight trainer is converted to an experimental LSA, a Sport Pilot Instructor may use the converted experimental LSA as a Sport Pilot trainer (for compensation) until

January 31, 2010 . Thereafter, for personal use only (no compensation).

An ultralight pilot must register with an FAA recognized ultralight organization or a sport pilot CFI to have his ultralight flight time count toward his sport pilot certificate. To take advantage of the opportunity to receive full credit, the ultralight pilot must then take the Sport Pilot practical test by January 31, 2007 .

Sport Pilots may train ultralight pilots, but not for hire. Only flight training received from an SP CFI or a BFI will be creditable towards a sport pilot certificate.

PRIVATE PILOT (weight shift or powered parachute):

Powered parachute: 25 hours total, including 3 hours of night flight, and a 25 mile solo cross country

Weight-shift: 40 hours total, including 3 hours of night flying with a 75 mile night cross country, and a 100 mile solo cross country

Night flight requirements may be avoided with ?Night Limitation?. (night not required for Sport Pilot)

May demonstrate LSA for sale if a “salesman.”

Allowed to tow gliders with qualification.

May fly above 10,000 feet MSL

Authorized flight in Class A, B, C, and D airspace with properly equipped aircraft.


18 years of age

Knowledge exams on aeronautics and fundamental of instruction

Practical test

Must hold a sport pilot certificate or higher rating.

A sport pilot CFI may teach private pilot weight-shift or private pilot powered parachute if the sport pilot CFI has at least a private pilot certificate with the appropriate rating.

Required flight time:
Airplane: 150 hours total time, 25 hours of cross country
Glider: 25 hours flight time
Gyroplane: 125 hours flight time (at least 50 hours in a gyroplane) and 10 hours cross country
Weight-shift: 150 hours total (50 in weight-shift,) 25 hours cross country
Powered parachute: 100 hours total (50 in a powered parachute,) 15 hours cross country
5 hours in the same make and model “set”
The sport pilot instructor must renew his flight instructor’s certificate every two years.

An ultralight instructor must transition to sport pilot CFI by January 31, 2008 if he wants credit for his ultralight flight time

Prospective Sport Pilot Examiners must attend a 5-day FAA course.

Deadlines to remember:

September 1, 2004 Effective date of the Sport Pilot rule.

Deadline to be a registered ultralight pilot or ultralight instructor in order to get maximum credit toward sport pilot certificate or sport pilot CFI.

August 31, 2005

Deadline for recreational pilots and higher rated pilots who have been operating an experimental aircraft with out a category or class rating to have documented the necessary flight time and received an endorsement to apply for a category and class rating limited to that specific make and model of experimental aircraft.

January 31, 2007

Deadline for an ultralight pilot to take his sport pilot practical test if he wants to receive full credit for his ultralight flight time.

January 31, 2008

Last day that an experimental light-sport airworthiness certificate will be issued to a “fat” ultralight or two-seat trainer.

January 31, 2008

Deadline for an ultralight flight instructor to take his sport pilot CFI practical test if he wants to receive full credit for his ultralight flight time, and FOI.

January 31, 2008

Ultralight two-seat training exemption expires. New BFIs allowed until then, but of ever decreasing value.

January 31, 2010

Last day to be able to use a two-place training vehicle converted to an experimental LSA as a sport pilot trainer for compensation.